Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Best Swap Ever!

So in the throes of de-cluttering my house, and getting rid of things I don't use, and cleaning out the nooks and crannies of junk that's accumulated over the years...I instigated a swap with Samurai Knitter. I got to get rid of something I was never going to use, and she got to dump some experiments on me.

I think I got the better end of the deal.

She dyed four 4-oz batches of wool top that spins like...I don't know. It's fabulous! (what kind of wool? No clue.) In case oyu can't read the bag labels, there's Purple Trainwreck, Dragon Breath, Girlie Camo, and Murk. The two bags at the lower left are silk hankies - another 4+0z!

The "Murk" she almost didn't send ...and I think it's wonderful! It's not murky - it's slightly subdued.

I started spinning it almost as soon as it arrived. Which is why I didn't post this stuff two days ago.
Does that look murky to you?


I'm enjoying the spinning. I don't know how you manage to keep your top so soft and fluffy when you dye it, Julie, but I am highly impressed! I have some commercial, rather expensive, top here in the house that drafts like it hates me. And now I think that spinning with the other stuff is like trying to spin Velcro!

Apparently I'm not the only one in the house to take a liking to it...Is that not a guilty look? I caught her trying to eat the bags while I was uploading the other pictures. She's a plastic-eater. Drives me nuts.

4 comments:

Julie said...

It's merino. I dye it in a lobster pot, I think that avoids much of the fiber-smashing that normally happens. And I suspect YOUR cat may be smelling MY cat, who likes to nap on wool. (Sorry if you find any cat hair in the wool.)

Can't wait to see how it all spins up!

Alwen said...

The best swap is the one where both parties feel like they got the best part of the deal!

You are both sounding pretty happy.

froggiemeanie said...

Oooh...looks like fun.

(Better a plastic eater than a plastic pee-er (that's the problem we have))

Gloria Patre said...

What a sweet bundle of fiber! Lots of perky colors! Lucky swap!