Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday Morning Musings

I've been a very bad blogger. No pictures, few entries, no real content... A bad blogger, indeed.

Season's Teasings

All I can say is that it has been insanely hectic here. Little Boy and I are both in a ginormous local production called the "Boar's Head Festival", and it's a cross between a madrigal and a Christmas pageant. Only there are 600 people working on it, and it's sucking up every ounce of free time and energy we have. Little Boy has reached a point of asking "Can't I just go home and play in my room?" Given the opportunity, he's tucked up in his bedroom, quietly building with Legos or K'nex. Anything in which he's not directed, under lights, or in costume. And there's no singing.

I was asked, since the head costumer knows me, would I mind making a few hats. Sure, I say, no problem. And she gave me a list of 60 hats she needs, and several boxes of fabric and trim and stuffing and such. Well, dress rehearsal is TODAY, and I'm not done. There's only so much time in a day, and with several-hours-long rehearsals every night, I've not had a great deal of time to sew. Forty are finished. Ten more and in progress. And I haven't touched the last ten.

It looks a bit like a fabric explosion occurred in my dining room.

Normally, this room is fairly neat and tidy, easy to keep clean. The table often gets a little cluttered with daily life, but other than that it's spinning and eating. For the last week or two, it's been a sewing workroom, since I don't have my sewing space in the basement set up yet.

I miss my 15'X16' sewing room!

Waiting

Believe it or not, there's been an awful lot of waiting time lately, too. If you've ever done a theatrical production, you know about long rehearsals where you sit and wait to see if the director wants to run through your section that night, only to go home 3 hours later having practiced for all of 10 minutes...

Not to fret! I have been working on my Christmas knitting!!! (Please excuse all the crappy pictures. They were taken on my ironing board, in front of the patio doors for good light.)



On the left is the Schafer Anne socks. Finished with a picot hem, almost to the heel on the second sock. I stopped measuring rehearsals in terms of "hours" a month ago, and now measure in terms of "sock". The sock on the left represents 3 rehearsals.

On the right, is a blast from the past, the Opal Petticoat socks. I found them in the bottom of my workbasket, decided to banish them from my life ,and have been working a few rounds every night before bed, just to get them done. The mate to the one in the picture is up on my bedside table, about 2" from getting the small ribbed cuff.



This would be the start of the alpaca scarf I started for my cousin. It lives next to my rocking chair, and I pick it up whenever I sit down there. Unfortunately, I haven't sat there in almost 2 weeks! I'm either sewing or at rehearsal, or going to bed. The scarf is mistake-stitch rib, and feels SO SOFT!!

Indulgences



And last, but not least, is my Holy Cow sweater. It's the cover sweater from Winter IK, and I love it! I'm using the recommended wool, in a bright red color, and it's knitting so FAST I can hardly beldieve it! That's half the back you're looking at, and represents very little knitting time!

I guess when you're knitting lots of socks on size 0 needles, size 9 with sproingy wool goes like a freight train... I'm getting about 1/2" larger than specified measurement across the back, which isn't too bad, I suppose. It'll be so cozy and soft.

Life is good.

1 comment:

froggiemeanie said...

Sixty hats! I would die. I want to make five Christmas stockings and I get a little faint thinking of THOSE! Wow! I'm impressed.