Friday, September 21, 2007

A moment to share

Last night I was threading the heddles on my weaving loom to begin some Christmas weaving projects. Not fun, rather boring, and I'm not terribly good or quick about it. But it needs to be done.

My Little Boy walked in and asked if he could help. So we sat there, across the loom from each other, and threaded close to 300 heddles in half the time it had taken me to thread the previous 100...

It was a moment we shared, talking about our day through the harnesses, threading hundreds of ends, and it occurred to me that this was something we wouldn't be doing if we were average Americans. We would be watching TV, or shopping, or something (what DO average Americans do on a Thursday evening?). But there we were, engaged in an activity that folks have shared for thousands of years, while fresh bread was rising in the kitchen.

Average? No. Pleasant? Definitely.

Life is good.

3 comments:

Julie said...

I had a moment like that last fall, sitting alone in a quiet room, knitting a fisherman's gansey for my husband while my cat slept on my lap and my baby was tucked up in her crib in the next room. Just like thousands of women before me.

Life is very good.

bellamoden said...

That truly is lovely. Those moments are to be treasured, aren't they?

Kate A. said...

And in the scheme of things it's really all that matters, isn't it? Making it possible for these kinds of moments to happen in your life, and remembering to note them when they do. Thanks for sharing it!