Friday, November 28, 2008

All Things Come to an End

Including the Never-Ending Torso Sock.

All the way down to the little questions like "How will I know which side is the front and which is the back?" and "Which is the inside?" (And I played with the macro lens, too. Shows all the hairiness of this yarn!)

The texture is luscious, in my opinion. (I also need to vacuum...)


After nearly two years of learning, planning, and knitting this sweater, there was no way I was going to just toss it at him and say "Here ya go!" I blocked it, wrapped it nicely in tissue paper, and put it in a pretty bag, then presented it to him last night before Thanksgiving dinner. I would have waited until dinner, but he was on-call for work, and the chances of him being called out were larger if I waited to give it to him than if I gave it to him early (Murphy's Law).

The genuine smile on his face is something I have never before captured on camera. He is so stoic is pictures, usually, and looking at the picture of him opening the bag makes every hour (and there were many) of the knitting worth it. This is the sweater he asked for. The one and only real request he's ever made of me. And I am so glad I could comply. Only sorry it took so long to get through it.

You can see some of the patterning in the next picture, I caught it as he was adjusting the fit. It's a bit blurry, but on the bottom right of the picture (his left front) you can see the "WT" I knit in for his initials. He's taunting Mom endlessly about the ability to recognize his body when it washed up on shore after he drowns while sailing... We all know this is the original intent of the initials, but that doesn't make Mom happy!

And finally: a stoic, posed shot of the gansey.


I think he slept in it last night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only half the night. What a wonderful gift from child to parent. Sometimes the parents feel left out. This makes up for those times.

Bill

froggiemeanie said...

That's awesome. He's got the best smile when he trots it out. Gorgeous sweater - I love it!

Anonymous said...

What a great smile.

Pam

Gloria Patre said...

Absolutely spectacular!! And the fit is perfection! Kudos to you! Every stitch says "I love you" and it's pretty obvious he knows it! (sob! sob!) Well done! :o)